Welcome

All the finished works at my homepage www.jussikontio.com

sunnuntai 26. lokakuuta 2014

The impossible hole



This is a story of the impossible hole.

Im not saying it was impossible to make, but before I realized how to do it I was facing a typical situation in my life.
Bad conditions representing something I would not prefer,
and it seemed like there was no way out feeling discouraged about them.

But I could not recommend anyone to do something like this except in an emergency,
 because it is a lot of unnecessary work, 
requires immense focus over relatively long periof of time 
and angel grinders as a tool can somethimes be tricky.

.......



 So I was doing this bathroom tiling in the middle of the woods far away from the closest big hardware store
and it was a tight weekend to wrap up all the tiling.


And because every story needs a villain this is it;

 A box of cheap set of hole saw drills for tiles.
I asked my friend to bring them for me to make few holes.
I mean it was just a black box.
It had no name, no brand.. Nothing, and that is how they where selling it in the shop :)

Usually I work with people who have these tools as well, and because the need for new tools is never ending, sometimes Im satisfied with moderate quality.

The whole bathroom had like a single hole in a middle of a tile, since all the plumming was coming on the surface.
So I was quite certain that these saw blades would do it,
 but this is what happend.

The centering drill got destroyed immediately from trying to get trough.
I had to make those holes with a other dimond, but the actual hole saw blade hardly scratch the surface.
A hi speed drill with a proper cooling with water,
a lot of time,
and still the hole saw blade went in just like a millimeter.

So the question was how to make a hole in the middle of a hard tile with these tools.
The hole should be from 73 to 75mm and this angle grinder blade is 115mm !
First I thought it was impossible to have and impeccable solution for my situation,

but then I realized that I can make the hole with the angle grinder
and I can finish this tiling over the weekend!
 So first I started by using the hole saw drill to draw two circles.
And then I grinded the perimiter with the 115mm blade and made a cross in the middle.
 
It looked like this from behind and I could continue from the back.

 Then I cut off everything that I could to clear it out,

  Cleaned the rest with the blade from behind coming very close to the edge.

And it became like this;
The other hole was easy to do from the border.

 And from behind - what was previoisly known to me as a impossible hole - looked like this!

 Cleaning it a bit after first fitting.

Adding the plaster,

 and putting the tiles to the place they belonged.
These holes became my gift to the house.
I did not charge of the time it took me to make them,
because I felt it was my responsability to have the proper tools with me in the first place.

And suprisingly it became a journey of excitement
to see how I would manage to change my beliefs about the (w)hole situation.





















Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti